Private Thoughts from a Small Shoot LIMITED LEATHER FIRST ED
Set against the dramatic backdrop of the Pennines, Catlow's shooting diary records his year as an amateur pheasant rearer, gamekeeper, forester, dog-handler and all-round shooting enthusiast. But he also records his thoughts as he goes around his small shoot: his views on the right to roam, on why he loves the birds he shoots, his wine cellar, his other sporting interests. He airs his opinions on subjects as diverse as sport and the nanny state, game cookery, friendship, disobedient dogs and beloved hats.
Interspersed with pheasant shooting are magical evenings duck flighting and expeditions rabbit shooting. He controls vermin such as mink, crows and foxes - all familiar activities to those who run small shoots.
Catlow is shooting's most articulate exponent and this is an intelligent, funny and thought-provoking book.
Full leather edition, hand-bound in elegant brown goatskin leather, by the finest English craftsmen in Ludlow, Shropshire. All the elements of beautifully bound books have been incorporated, including:
• Hand-marbled endpapers by Ann Muir
• Cinnamon silk ribbon marker
• Burgundy/gold head & tail bands
• Raised bands on spine
• Set head and tails
• Gilt heads
• Gold blocked on spine and front
• Rounded and backed
• Protected in top quality brown slipcase
• Bound-in limited edition flyleaf
* LIMITED FIRST EDITION OF 100 COPIES *These books are individually crafted and the materials are hand-made to order – nevertheless, we aim to deliver books within, on average, six weeks of receipt of payment.
Author: Laurence Catlow
Illustrator: Ashley Boon
ISBN: 978 1 873674 68 0
Published: October 2003
Latest edition: September 2008
Format: 234 x 156 mm
No. of pages: 192
18 black & white illustrations